Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ostia Antica

Today we visited Ostia Antica and the thing that I found most fascinating was the Teatro or Theatre. I was really excited to see another ancient theatre because I am a double major with theatre and it's something that I'm very interested in. This particular theatre was cool not only because of the age or that it was open and outside but also because of the style. I loved that the seats were made of stone and the stage was huge. The stage was also lined with pillars which really helped you to remember that it was an ancient Roman structure. Perhaps the neatest thing about this space is that it was been restored and maintained well enough that performances still occur here. Today we got to see a dance school practice for a recital right on the stage in the middle of Ostia Antica. I wonder if those girls appreciate how lucky they are to perform on such a historical stage.

No comments: